Bully Busters: The Battle against Bullying with Tips for Parents and Kids
Aired January 18, 2012
Hosted by Melissa Jenkins-Simon with Co-Host Diane Stafford
Download mp3: http://www.voiceamerica.com/show/download/58770
Today I was a phone in guest on VoiceAmerica Variety Channel show Outreach Today with Melissa Jenkins-Simon. www.voiceamerica.com/show/1955/outreach-today The above links will allow you to hear it if you missed to broadcast.
The featured subject in the show was Bullying and how parents can help equip their children for bullying. I was asked about some of the strategies I teach to assist children with bullying education and training. In this blog I have included some of those tips and expanded on the ideas for which we didn't have time.
Bullying Prevention - A Professional Protectors Point of View
To this day I believe my programs are the only bullying prevention programs:
- Developed by a professional protector
- Trained in bullying prevention
- Conflict resolution
- Verbal Judo
- Advanced Threat Assessment
- Non-violent/force apporopriate self defense, who is also a teacher with over 26 years of successfully teaching bullying prevention.
My bullying prevention programs focus on:
1. Treatment of the intended target of bullying (I do not like to label children a "victim").
2. Treatment of the child exhibiting the bullying behavior.
3. The social atmosphere and culture enabling the process.
The Three Shields Bullying Prevention Approach
This three pronged approach is what I refer to as the THREE SHIELDS strategy. Drawing upon ancient martial arts wisdom, the three shields also represent the MIND, BODY and SPIRIT, or elements of a human being, that must be considered.
Each bullying situation is unique so it is important that we don't overly generalize and recognize the importance of understanding the dynamics and facts before rushing to judgement or offering overly specific prescription without adequate diagnosis. This is where the wisdom of caring teachers, parents and administrators comes in. They can bring a sense of calm wisdom to bear in an effort to treat the situation appropriately.
Five Steps To Handling a Bully Effectively Without Fighting
1. Make friends. Friendship beats bullying.
2. Tell everyone until they listen.
3. Avoid the bullying set up and bad situations. Listen to your gut.
4. Take a stand early. " STOP! "
5. Defend yourself from bullying. Nobody has the right to hurt you.
Verbal Judo Comeback Lines to Stop Bullying
1. Humor: "You're funny. The last time I heard that I was in pre-school."
2. Cleverness: "I hear you. Too bad my spam-box is full."
How Parents Can Help Children With Bullying
1. Be a good listener and actively work on your relationship with your child.
2. Be a good role model of safe behavior and how to problem solve using your mind and peaceful means.
3. Role play safety and bullying scenarios as quality time.
4. Watch for signs and be prepared to stay involved.
5. Use resources and get educated so you can respond rather than react. Use it as a teachable moment.
Following the show my friend and fellow martial artist, Police Officer Eric Gugel commented on his experience as a law enforcement professional and father regarding bullying. He shared with me that he is being called in to deal with bullying situations as a Police Officer. He encourages individuals, parents and children to learn conflict resolution skills. Thanks Officer Gugel for your service to your community and being a great role model of professional law enforcement.
"If You See Something Say Something!"Conflict Avoidance for Bullying Prevention overview
A = Always practice safe habits and avoid potentially bad situations with alertness to safety priorities
B= Breathe to stay calm and respond rather than react out of emotion
C= Communicate with confidence, body language is key for projecting inner-strength. Tell others - you're not alone.
D= Defend yourself. Common sense before self defense but nobody has the right to injure you. Protect yourself from physical bullying and escape to safety.
For more click here
For more information we are hosting a Bullying Event
The hosts were kind enough to mention our Bullying Prevention Bootcamp for children this Saturday at USA Martial Arts & Kickboxing Phoenix. The free bullying prevention workshop will be from 12:30-1:15 and cover some fundamentals from my Bully Proof Vest program. Contact email@example.com or call 602-896-8721 to register for this free event.
Facebook Arizona Bullying Prevention Project
Webspecial Children's Martial Arts Bullying Prevention http://KidsLoveMartialArtsPhoenix.com