Monday, November 7, 2011

The Will To Win by Berton Braley



When you want a thing bad enough to go out and fight for it,

To work day and night for it,

To give up your peace and your sleep and your time for it;

If only the desire of it makes your aim strong enough never to tire of it;

If life seems all empty and useless without it,

And all that you dream and you scheme is about it;

If gladly you'll sweat for it, fret for it, plan for it,

Pray with all your strength for it;

If you'll simply go after the thing that you want with all your capacity,

Strength and sagacity; faith, hope, and confidence, stern pertinacity;

If neither poverty nor cold nor famish nor gaunt

Nor sickness or pain to body or brain can turn you away

From the aim that you want;

If dogged and grim, you besiege and beset it, you'll get it!


I originally heard this as a closing statement from Les Brown, a motivational speaker. It has grown to become one of my favorite quotes and inspirational poems. It reminds me that taking action and working hard can move me in the direction of my goals and dreams. I often share it with my martial arts students to inspire them to take charge of their training by practicing and believing in the value of dedication and hard work.


Not only does this apply to earning Black Belt, but most of life's worthwhile achievements. The words encourage us to press on in spite of discouragement, problems or obstacles. One of my mentors taught me that if the WHY is big enough, the HOW doesn't matter. Focus your mind on the reason you are doing what you are doing. He said that if we take action in the direction of our dreams and were willing to fight for it, we would find the resources and things we needed to accomplish it.


I've found that when I focus on the WHY I am doing something that I am less focused on the cost, thereby more willing to make the necessary sacrifices to achieve a goal.


I hope it inspires you as much as it inspires me.


Believe in the power and value of your dreams.


-John Nottingham


WEBSPECIAL + FREE UNIFORM Kids Martial Arts Phoenix

WEBSPECIAL + FREE BOXING GLOVES Kickboxing Phoenix

No comments:

Post a Comment