Sunday, October 23, 2011

USA Martial Arts Phoenix on a Mission

When I set out to open my own martial arts school when I was a teenager I had several goals in mind. Now, a quarter century and 10,000 students later, that mission hasn't changed... but my perspective certainly has.

My goal was to make a different kind of martial arts school. One with all of the life affirming benefits that I had experienced in my early years.

  • Self-Discipline
  • Self-Control
  • Self-Confidence
  • Self-Defense

But those were just the foundation. I wanted to build a school where people could come to transform themselves. A martial arts school where you could learn a tradition but not be bound by it. If you wanted to specialize in an art, style or aspect of the martial arts, as you advanced you could.

I wanted to bring in world class experts and martial arts champions. To expose students to winning thinking for a better lifestyle and an edge in life. It would be a place where the lessons would go far beyond the kicking and punching. USA Martial Arts would be a safe-haven for men, women and children. It would be a place where families could spend quality time together doing meaningful and healthy exercise.

I've seen lots of phases in the martial arts industry come and go. From the Kung Fu phase, Ninja phase, Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do, Taekwondo, and now MMA (Mixed Martial Arts as popularized by events such as the UFC and The Ultimate Fighter), they seem to shift every few years. It has been interesting to watch the amazing power that media has on public opinion.

While those things are exciting and I have studied and enjoyed most, they are not at the core of why I chose to devote my life to the teaching of martial arts and open USA Martial Arts. For me, it goes deeper - to the core of the individual. I see martial arts as a tool, a mechanism and vehicle for which we can positively influence the lives of students.

I have witness first hand the amazing improvements in confidence, social skills, improved grades, and more for children in martial arts. For adults in martial arts I have witnessed their body and mind transformations, losing weight, getting strong, earning promotions at work and even making positive new friends.

Ultimately, it is my most sincere wish that each student discover that they are a unique creation with his or her own special gifts and abilities. Through the earnest practice of martial arts they discover that they are far more powerful than they had ever imagined possible. In our school they can unleash their potential, find reservoirs of untapped strength that release joy and happiness.

To me, the study of martial arts has always been magical. It is a celebration of life that develops the mind, body and spirit in astounding ways that I have not seen in other activities, sports or hobbies. It changed my life and I know it can for you and many others. I hope you will consider trying it today, stopping by to see a class or meet some of our great students. We would love to have the opportunity to serve you.

kidslovemartialarts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment